In a sign of the times, General Growth has not paid past-due debt and has not won an official extension from bondholders, but remains out of bankruptcy.
General Growth Properties Inc., struggling under a mountain of debt, said Monday that its latest effort to win a reprieve from bondholders had fallen short.
But a bankruptcy filing isn't imminent for the mall giant, according to people familiar with the matter, and General Growth's ability to remain out of bankruptcy shows the unusual dynamic between lenders and distressed companies in the recession-ravaged commercial-real-estate market.
Under normal circumstances a company with as much past-due debt as General Growth would have been forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection by now. Creditors so far have been willing to let deadlines pass because they believe there is little to be gained and much to be lost through a bankruptcy. General Growth's mall operations are stable and many bondholders hope for a greater recovery outside of bankruptcy court.
"This is really rare," said Kevin Starke, an analyst at CRT Capital Group LLC, a research company that tracks distressed securities. "It is corporate-bond limbo like I've never seen before."
Past links and stories:
- March 23, 2009, GGP Pushes for Another Extension
- March 20, 2009, Citigroup Moves to Foreclose on GGP Mall
- March 20, 2009, GGP's Lenders Waive Default; REIT Asks for Further Forbearance
- March 10, 2009, GGP Asks for More Time
- March 3, 2009, GGP Reportedly Getting Bids for Properties
- Feb. 24, 2009, GGP Posts Gains But Drops Earnings Call and Estimates
- Feb. 20, 2009, GGP Bankruptcy Scenario
- Feb. 18, 2009, GGP Misses Payments
- Feb. 2, 2009, General Growth Gets Another Extension
- Jan. 5, 2009, GGP Switches Bankruptcy Advisors
- Dec. 30, 2008, GGP Signs Forebearance Agreement
- Dec. 19, 2008, GGP Puts Centers on the Block
- Dec. 18, 2008, General Growth Extension Comes Through
- Dec. 15, 2008, GGP "Continuing its Discussions with Lenders"
- Dec. 14, 2008, Breaking: GGP Refinances
- Dec. 5, 2008, Citi Plays Hardball With GGP
- Dec. 3, 2008, Centro, GGP Find Ways to Hang On
- Dec. 1, 2008, GGP Gets Two Week Extension
- Nov. 25, 2008, Ackman Builds Stake in GGP
- Nov. 20, 2008, General Growth Hires Bankruptcy Advisor
- Nov. 17, 2008, General Growth Downgraded; Feldman to Stop Filing Public Reports
- Nov. 12, 2008, General Growth Roundup
- Nov. 11, 2008, General Growth Warns of Default
- Nov. 5, 2008, GGP, Kimco Fall After Cutting Forecasts
- Nov. 2, 2008, General Growth "Almost Literally Worth Nothing"
- Oct. 17, 2008, Management Changes at GGP
- Oct. 15, 2008, Margin Calls Hit Two More Retail REITs
- Oct. 7, 2008, General Growth Near Bankruptcy?
- Oct. 3, 2008, General Growth CFO Steps Down; Company Suspends Dividend
- Oct. 2, 2008 GGP Under Fire for Inclusion on Short-Sell Ban List
- Oct. 1, 2008, Could General Growth Be Sold?
- Sept. 23, 2008, Short Selling Banned on General Growth
- Sept. 22, 2008, General Growth Strikes Back
- Sept. 16, 2008, General Growth Offers More Recourse
- Aug. 12, 2008, Another Look at GGP's Debt
- Aug. 6, 2008, Analysis of GGP's Debt
- July 25, 2008, Stories With Bigger Implications?
- July 14, 2008, GGP Lines Up New Financing
- April 16, 2008, GGP's Growing Debt Problem